What is File Restore?
File Restore virus masquerades as anti-virus software. It is able to get past your legitimate anti-virus programs and create problems for your hard drive. If you don’t remove this virus, it can block your programs and applications from opening or functioning properly and also corrupt your computer files. File restore virus appears in the form of pop-up ads that appear randomly, often when you are first trying to open an application, and try to convince you that it can help you repair a corrupted file or malware.
How to I remove File Restore virus?
File restore virus embeds itself deep into your computer. It order to fully rid your machine of the virus, you need to get rid of the registry files that it hides on your machine. File restore virus often hides these files, so they are more difficult to locate and delete. That doesn’t make removal impossible, but you will need to view all hidden files and folders to successfully delete the virus. Here are two options for ridding your computer of the file restore virus.
Option 1: Delete Registry Files in Safe Mode
- To enter safe mode, restart your computer and hit the F8 key until you see the Windows advanced options menu. Use the arrows on your keyboard to navigate to the “Safe Mode With Networking” option and hit the “Enter” key.
- Wait for your desktop to load. While in safe mode, your desktop icons will appear larger than normal, but they are still functional.
- Click on the Windows logo in the left corner of your desktop to open the start menu. Choose “Control Panel” from the menu.
- Once in the Control Panel menu, click on the “Appearance and Personalization” link.
- Click on the “Show hidden files and folders” link in the Folder Options group. This should open the Folder Options window in the View tab. If it doesn’t, manually click on the View tab to open it.
- Click the circle next to “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” and then uncheck the box next to “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).” If prompted, confirm in the pop up box that you do want to make these changes. Click “OK” to exit the window.
- Open the Windows start menu and search “regedit” in the search field at the bottom of the menu. Click on the “regedit” entry under Programs and click “Yes” when prompted.
- Search for and delete the following files from your registry. You can access the specific files using the file map on the left side of the registry window. For instance, for the first file you need to expand the “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” folder and next expand the “Software” folder, and so on. Delete a file by clicking on it once to highlight it and hitting the “Delete” key on your keyboard.HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\protector.exe
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Win 7 Antispyware 2013
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System ‘DisableTaskMgr’ = 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall \File Restore
- Reboot your computer in normal mode and then reopen the Control Panel. Navigate back to Folder Options and reverse your previous changes (Select “Don’t show hidden files, folder, and drives” and check “Hide protected operating system files).”
Option 2: Run Anti-Virus Software
If you don’t feel confident about manually removing your virus, or the problem persists after you attempt the process, you can also utilize an anti-virus scanner to search for and eliminate the virus.
- Restart your computer and go into safe mode by hitting the F8 key before your computer desktop shows up.
- Open your web browser and point it to the URL of an anti-virus tool, or insert the web address of an anti-virus tool in the search box of the Windows start menu. One program that can scan for and destroy the file restore virus is AVG free. Go to AVG website to get the tool.
- Click on “Get free protection now” on the AVG free homepage, and scroll to the bottom of the screen. Click on the “Download” button and then “Download Now” to start the anti-virus software download.
- Open AVG free once the program download is complete. Click on the “Scan options” link on the left side of the screen and choose “Whole computer scan.” Wait for the program to completely scan your computer. This can take from a few minutes to around one hour, depending on the amount of data you have on your machine.
- When prompted, instruct AVG to heal all threats discovered, which will isolate and remove the file restore virus.
- Restart your computer in normal mode.
only at http://HacksRepair.com